Friday, July 26, 2013

Snakes and Ladders

Targets:  I used this game to target sight words.  But like most therapy activities it could be modified to target almost anything: particular sounds, words, questions...


What you'll need:

  • Computer to create the game board
  • Printer
  • Paper
  • Scissors
  • Pen
  • Dice (I couldn't find any dice so I downloaded a dice app on my smartphone-he loved getting to use my phone in therapy!)
  • Game pieces (I used two small plastic dinosaurs-you could use almost any small object)

How to create:
I created this game board using a table on a Word document.  I made the squares alternating colors that corresponded to a set of colored cards that I printed out.  After printing, I hand drew the snakes in-though you could easily find a snake graphic online to insert (or any graphic for a theme that suits the child's interests).

For long-lasting use I would recommend laminating the board/cards.  You could use the same board multiple times with numerous clients by having different sets of target words/sounds on hand.
 
How to play: 
Take turns rolling the dice and moving the pieces accordingly.  For each space landed on, have the child draw a corresponding color card.  The child must at least attempt (or correctly produce) the word on the card to keep his piece on the space.  For maximum production, I had my client draw cards for the spaces that I landed on as well.  First one to the top wins!


No comments:

Post a Comment