Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thanksgiving Turkey Cupcakes

We targeted past tense regular verbs with these fun thanksgiving turkey cupcakes!

What you'll need:

  • Cupcake mix (and other ingredients per instructions on packet)
  • Frosting (I used chocolate)
  • M&Ms (for the eyes)
  • Candy corn (for the feathers and beak)
  • Cupcake liners
  • Cupcake holder/paper plate
  • Knife to spread the frosting


Preparation:
You'll need to bake the actual cupcakes in advance (unless you have access to an oven and lots of time with your client in therapy)

Note: Due to time constraints in therapy, I actually baked, frosted, and decorated most of the cupcakes in advance.  My client frosted and decorated only 2 cupcakes in therapy, allowing  time for maximum verb production.

In Therapy: 
I guided my client in decorating his cupcakes.  I would give him an action to perform, containing a verb, for example "frost the cupcake".  After he performed the task I would ask him "what did you do?" to elicit a past tense verb response ("I frosted the cupcake").

Below are the steps that we took to decorate our cupcakes, including the different verbs that I elicited:
  • We washed our hands before starting   
  • He scooped the frosting onto his knife
  • He frosted the cupcake
  • He then opened the bag of M&Ms
  • And poured the M&Ms onto a paper plate
  • He dropped the M&Ms onto the cupcake for the turkey's eyes
  • Then he counted 5 candy corn from the bag
  • He placed the candy corn on the turkey for the feathers and the beak
  • He tasted a cupcake!
You get the idea...there are countless opportunities to target past tense verbs here!


This was a great hands on activity that helped my client really grasp the idea of past tense verbs and allowed him to put them into practice in a practical way.

He brought the cupcakes to snack-time after our session and shared them with his classmates.  They were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment